Technical Design Guides
The natural benefits of timber as an aesthetic, durable, functional and sustainable material provide designers with exciting opportunities. To maximise the design capabilities of timber it is important to consider key performance attributes and comply with regulations such as the Building Code of Australia (BCA).
WoodSolutions Technical Design Guides have been developed for architects, engineers, building designers and other building professionals.
Click on the links to view the following publications:
Please note: Hard copies of most Guides are available for purchase from SAI Global.
- 1 Timber-framed Construction for Townhouse Buildings Class 1a -information about complying with the fire safety and sound insulation performance requirements in the BCA for Class 1a attached buildings.
- 2 Timber-framed Construction for Multi-residential Buildings Class 2, 3 & 9 - information about complying with the fire and sound performance requirements in the BCA for Class 2, 3 and 9c buildings.
- 3 Timber-framed Construction for Commercial Buildings Class 5, 6, 9a & 9b - information about complying with the fire performance requirements in the BCA for Class 5, 6, 9a and 9b buildings.
- 4 Building with timber in bushfire-prone areas - information to help architects, designers, builders and owners understand the Construction of Building in Bushfire Prone Areas Standard AS 3959 and in particular the construction requirements for using traditional timber building methods for each Bushfire Attack Level (BAL).
- 5 Timber service life design - design guide for durability - this guide gives building and construction industry professionals confidence in determining the service life timber in a wide range of applications, from sole plates to suspension bridges.
- 6 Timber-framed Construction - sacrificial timber construction joint - this provides common details for using sacrificial timber blocks to maintain a Fire Resistance Level.
- 7 Plywood box beam construction for detached housing - plywood box beams offer cost-effective design options in a wide range of applications.
- 8 Stairs, balustrades and handrails Class 1 Buildings - construction - this guide covers stairs with straight flights, with or without risers, for external and internal use, and balustrades.
- 9 Timber flooring - design guide for installation - provides information about installing solid timber strip flooring over bearers and joists, timber-based sheet flooring products and concrete slabs.
- 10 Timber windows and doors - a comprehensive guide to designing and specifying timber windows and doors
- 11 Timber-framed systems for external noise - identifies the key issues to be considered when dealing with external noise using lightweight timber-framed construction.
- 12 Impact and assessment of moisture-affected, timber-framed construction - helps the building industry and owners to understand the key issues to be considered when assessing moisture-affected timber construction and some guidance on how to address them.
- 13 Finishing timber externally - concentrates on the finishes used with timber when exposed externally in decks or as part of the building envelope, such as cladding. It discusses the material, finishing and fastening factors important to the in-service performance and longevity of exterior timber elements.
- 14 Timber in Internal Design - provides a resource for architectural and interior design professionals of design inspiration, assembly information and technical details on using timber in interior spaces.
- 15 Title to be advised
- 16 Massive Timber Construction Systems: Cross-laminated Timber (CLT) - introduces the use of CLT in construction, outlining the history, environmental performance and mechanical properties. Also provides an overview of CLT building systems as well as fire, acoustic, seismic and thermal performance.
- 17 Alternative Solution Fire Compliance, Timber Structures - information about using alternative solutions to allow the use of timber in structural applications not covered by the Deem-to-Satisfy Provisions of the NCC. Includes a case study of a five storey residential apartment (Class 2) building.
- 18 Alternative Solution Fire Compliance, Facades - information about using timber facades not covered by the Deem-to-Satisfy Provisions of the NCC. Includes a case study on the use of combustible facades.
- 19 Alternative Solution Fire Compliance, Internal Linings - information about using timber linings not covered by the Deem-to-Satisfy Provisions of the NCC. Includes a case study on the use timber linings in a school building corridor.
- 20 Fire Precautions During Construction of Large Buildings - this guide provides information to help people and organisations with responsibilities for fire safety on a construction site to reduce the risk of fire.
- 21 Domestic Timber Deck Design - this guide outlines key design and construction considerations for light domestic timber decks for both raised and close to, or on-ground, timber decks that are exposed to the weather.
- 22 Thermal Performance in Timber-framed Buildings - designed to be used in conjunction with Guides 23 & 24
- 23 Using Thermal Mass in Timber-framed Buildings - designed to be used in conjunction with Guides 22 & 24
- 24 Thermal Performance for Timber-framed Residential Construction - designed to be used in conjunction with Guides 22 &23
- 25 Rethinking Construction - Consider Timber - an overview of Guides 26, 27, 28 & 29
- 26 Rethinking Office Construction - Consider Timber - a material cost comparison of a typical office building
- 27 Rethinking Apartment Building Construction - Consider Timber - a material cost comparison of a typical apartment building
- 28 Rethinking Aged Care Construction - Consider Timber - a material cost comparison of typical aged care accommodation
- 29 Rethinking Industrial Shed Construction - Consider Timber - a material cost comparison of a typical industrial shed
- 30 Timber Concrete Composite Floors - expand your designs with worked examples of spans of up to 10m
- 31 Timber Cassette Floors - discover the advantages of long span timber floors for commercial applications
- 32 Long Span Roofs - LVL Portal Frames and Trusses - designs for three roof configurations with spans from 10m to 70m
- 33 Quick Connect Moment Connection - simplify the design specification and construction of portal frame structures
- 34 Timber Rivet Connection - designing efficient connection by decreasing the difference between the capacity of wood and rivets
- 35 Floor Diaphragms in Timber Buildings - designing flexible and rigid diaphragms, including structural elements and connections
- 36 Engineered Woods and Fabrication Specification - summarises fabrication and installation specifications of LVL and glulam
- 37 Mid-rise Timber Buildings (Class 2, 3 and 5 Buildings) - with CAD files - easy-to-use steps to achieving fire and sound performance targets
- 38 Fire Safety Design of Mid-rise Timber Buildings - explains the basis for the changes to the 2016 NCC
- 39 Robustness in Structures - explains the definition in the 2016 NCC and provides practical advice to building designers
NOTE: Requirements contained in the Building Code of Australia (BCA) may be varied by individual states and territories. When using any of the design guides, please ensure that the details comply with the requirements of your state or territory.
(You need to be logged in to WoodSolutions to download resources from this section)
Please login to download files