The Australian Timber Design Awards
The Australian Timber Design Awards is a national design competition created to promote and encourage outstanding timber design in the built environment professions. Established in 2000, the Awards are distinguished by a heritage of innovation and achievement.
The aim of the Awards is to develop a timber design ethos by encouraging and showcasing outstanding timber design in a range of applications. A broad choice of entry categories demonstrates the flexibility of timber and allows projects to be judged against similar entries.
The Australian Timber Design Awards is open to builders, designers, architects, engineers, landscapers and anyone else involved in designing or building structures that feature timber. To recognise the younger people in our industry, a separate section of the residential category is available to students and entrants aged 30 or under.
Timber is a beautiful, strong and environmentally friendly material. The Australian Timber Design Awards encourage entries that showcase these properties. Categories recognise outstanding use of timber in residential buildings and public or commercial buildings.
Australian Timber Design Award Categories
The Award's primary entry categories include:
- Residential Class 1/ New Buildings;
- Residential Class 1/ Best Renovation;
- Resorts, including apartments and aged care;
- Public or Commercial Buildings;
- Interior Fitout - Residential;
- Interior Fitout - Commercial;
- Outdoor Timber - Stand alone structures;
- Additional awards and entry categories comprise:
- Australian International Project Award;
- Best Timber Joinery or Furniture Element;
- Sustainable Design - Residential;
- Sustainable Design - Commercial;
- Best Use of Solid Timber Cladding;
- Best Use of Timber Flooring;
- Best Use of Engineered Timber Products;
- Best Use of Timber as a Structural Element;
- Best Use of Timber Panels;
- Best Use of Wood Veneers;
- Best Use of Australian Certified Timber;
- Best Use of Recycled Timber;
- Rising Star Award (previously titled the Young Designers Encouragement Award);
- People's Choice Award
Australian Timber Design Award Past Winners
For an inspirational stroll through more than a decade of outstanding timber design and construction, please go to the winners page www.timberawards.com.au/winners.
Award entries and information
If you have been involved in the design or building of a timber structure completed in the last 3 years you are eligible to enter the next Australian Timber Design Awards. Please visit the Awards site - www.timberwards.com.au for more information and entry requirements.