Timber Development Association (TDA)
Advancing timber use in Australian construction projects
TDA is an industry association with membership from timber production/import and supply. We advance timber products use by technical, market development and education services to timber industry, governments and specifiers.
• Inspire specifiers to use timber by running the annual Australian Timber Design Awards - one of the world's longest-running and most successful timber design awards.
• Undertook original fire and acoustic research and writing technical design manuals for timber-framed construction for Class 2 – 9 buildings. These underpin the National Construction Code concession for timber framed construction in Class 2 apartment buildings. This concession was recently extended to Class 3 buildings - opening up new markets.
• Prepared numerous guides for suppliers of timber products and industry association for their customers for using their timber products in bushfire-prone areas.
• Arranged fire testing of timber species for fire properties and bushfire resistance.
• Undertake WoodSolutions™ technical and inspirational timber tutorials and seminars to design, construction professionals and educators throughout ACT, NSW and SA.
• Developed tools and guidance for importers and domestic processors of timber to undertake due diligence to minimise risk of importing/processing illegally harvested wood. These assist timber industry meet Australian Illegal Logging Prohibition legislation.
TDA has developed and operates numerous websites including www.timber.net.au; www.timberawards.com.au; www.timberduediligence.com.au and www.timberstewardship.org.au where results and outputs of many of our publically funded projects are freely available. We have also developed numerous websites for timber companies, specific timber promotion campaigns, other timber product associations and provided information for www.woodsolutions.com.au
AddressUnit 9, 281 Pacific Highway, North Sydney NSW 2060
Examples of other services offered include: Market research and technical assistance for timber companies to develop markets in Australia for cross-laminated timber • Market research on outdoor timber markets and use of preservative treated timber in external applications • Validation of structural design software to meet NCC requirements • Guides for timber companies to make it easier for customers to specify their products in Green Star projects • Projects for state governments and timber recyclers to develop markets for end-of-life waste timber • Assistance in preparation of environmental products declarations, life cycle assessment studies and carbon footprinting of timber products. waste timber.