These presentations were delivered at the WoodSolution seminar: Timber Innovation, Manufacture, Design and Construction: Residential to Mid-rise in Melbourne on October 31 2019.
We apologise for missing presentations as not all presenters were able to share their work.
Morning Sessions: 21st Century Timber Innovation and Manufacture
Session 1: Innovation
- The Creative and Innovative Use of Timber - Diego Bekinschtein, John Wardle Architects
- Robust Multi-Storey Engineered Timber Designs - Jane Armstrong, TTW
- Technological Innovation – Revolutionising Design and Build - Paul Kremer, Deakin University, University of Melbourne
Session 2: Manufacture and Supply
- Timber Manufacture & Supply in Australia – the Current State of Play – Tim Rossiter, MiTek
- Innovation and Change in Timber System Design, Manufacture and Supply – George Konstandakos, Lendlease DesignMake (not available)
- Passive House + Prefabricated Architecture – Kate Nason, ARKit
Afternoon Sessions: Mid-rise Timber Design & Construction Case Studies
Session 3: Mid-rise - Multi-Residential Case Studies – Laurence Ritchie, MAP
- Oxford Apartments – Maurice Leone, DKO
- Olea Apartments – Lachlan Kennedy, Figurehead Constructions
- Launch of Technical Design Guide #51 – Trent Kennedy, RLB and Laurence Ritchie, MAP
Session 4: Mid-rise – Office Building Case Studies – Adam Jones, MAP
- Fire Safety of Exposed Post & Beam Timber Structures – Ben Ferguson, NDY
- Ballarat Gov Hub – Jack Alam - Kane Constructions
- Delivery of World Class Timber Offices – George Konstandakos, Lendlease (not available)
Session 5: Mid-rise - University Student Accommodation Case Studies – Paolo Lavisci, MAP
- Gillies Hall, Monash University – Danielle Savio, Multiplex
- Kambri, ANU – Andrew Smith, Lendlease (not available)
- Latrobe University – Jarvis Mellor, Duo Projects
In this presentation, Diego Bekinschtein of John Wardle Architects, shows a diverse range of residential, civic and educational projects - each featuring the extensive use of timber.
Jane Armstrong, Associate Taylor Thomson Whitting, discusses the process of using mass timber and demonstrates it with a case study - Latrobe University student housing.
Adj. Assoc. Prof. Paul Kremer, Deakin University Research Fellow, University of Melbourne, looks at the potentially disruptive roles of technology on the design and construction process - from prefabrication to drones, BIM and Blockchain.
In Timber Manufacture & Supply in Australia – the Current State of Play, Tim Rossiter, General Manager Building Solutions Asia Pacific MiTek, looks at the evolution of the timber manufacturing and supply chain, illustrated by a case study: Canberra's National Portrait Gallery.
ARKit's Kate Nason explains how they integrate the design, prefab manufacturing and construction processes, illustrated by a wide range of case studies.
Lachlan Kennedy shows Figurehead's extensive experience in lightweight timber construction, the benefits it delivers and illustrates with a cese study of Olea Apartments.
Using a range of projects and showing both large scale drawings and details, Maurice Leone explains the design and construction philosphy behione Oxford Apartments.
Trent Kennedy, RLB and Laurence Ritchie, MAP, authors of WoodSolutions Technical Guide 51, Cost Engineering of Mid-rise Timber Buildings, introduce the guide and explain its structure and contents.
Ben Ferguson, Norman Disney Young, takes us through the decision making process for ensuring the fire safety of exposed timber post and beam structures.
Jack Allam from Kane Constructions delivers a case study containing the lessons learnt to date on the Ballarat Gov Hub, due for completion in 2020
Danielle Savio from Multiplex Constructions explains the rationale behind using CLT for Monash University Peninsula's 150 bed Gillies Hall student accommodation.
Jarvis Mellor from Duo Projects, a Project and Development Management consultancy, discusses the learnings from the Latrobe University student accommodation project.